One of my favorite podcasts, Pop Culture Happy Hour (run by the good people at NPR), asks its panelists at the end of each weekly episode to talk about what is making them happy this week. It is a good time to recount some of the things that maybe don’t deserve weekly headlines but are contributing to the overall happiness of the panelist that week. Sometimes it is a book they are reading or a nice thing some stranger did for them.
So here is the list of things that are making me happy this week (in no particular order):
- R and the Shiny package – I feel like this week I have made some significant progress in understanding programming in R (and maybe programming in general) and specifically the Shiny package which allows me to make super cool interactive data visualizations web apps. I will be posting more on this in the coming week.
- Serial – The Serial podcast has been fascinating from the beginning. It’s a spin-off of This American Life and they are telling one story over the course of many episodes (probably about 12). This first season is the story of the murder of a high school aged girl and her ex-boyfriend who was blamed (and imprisoned) for the crime. This week’s episode was amazing and I am really really looking forward to next week’s.
- Monument Valley – This is probably my favorite game for iOS right now. It is beautiful and an excellent puzzle game. This week they announced that they will be releasing a new set of levels (an expansion pack) on Thursday and I am super excited to play some more levels of this wonderful game.
- Major’s Mask – This week Nintendo announced that they will be releasing an updated 3D version of Legend of Zelda: Major’s Mask for the 3DS sometime in the spring. I AM SO EXCITED! I played Ocarina of Time 3D over the summer and it was amazing and played A Link Between Worlds last winter when it was released. I am on a big Zelda kick right now and I can’t wait to play this game when it comes out. (I should probably finish Skyward Sword while I’m waiting.)
- IKEA – I went to IKEA today and while that is always something that makes me happy (I think it’s something about how everything is so organized there) I also purchased a HEMNES linen cabinet that I have been eyeing for a long time. It was marked as “last chance” today so I made sure to grab it before it’s gone. Tomorrow I get to assemble it which is also one of my favorite things.